Sunday, May 9, 2010

Quick Overview

First I was going to need my birth certificate, obtained via place of birth Vandallia, Illinois. What's that, "two copies, for ten bucks? Deal!" Then the passport, one quick call to Liz...what year was mom born again? Picture taken at the post office, "no...don't smile." Application complete. Three payments over the course of five months. The countdown began. 90 days, then 21, then 12, and now I leave at 9:15 Monday morning. Board flight at 12:30, NY to Frankfurt, Germany, then Florence. Before I fully unpack I'll be on a train heading to Rome, May 14-16.

I am incredibly thankful for the opportunity to visit another part of this world. Art 111, ah, I was defiantly the only one awake during those fifty minutes of slides. Not only was I awake, but I was sketching the image, taking note of the artist and the medium. I didn't think that I would ever get to see the art in person. At the time I was content with the simulation, with the education. Within hours (though still several) I will visit Florence, Italy where there are more works of art than a person could ever see in their lifetime...I have three weeks.

I also have nine credit hours to complete! Carol Frick is the head of the History department at SIUE. She frequents Italy and has already been twice in the last three months...I am in good hands. From 9-11 a.m. we (my nine classmates, Frick and I) meet and tour the cobble stone streets of Italy. When I return, my assignment is to compose a ten page paper comparing and contrasting two sites I visit and their significance to Western Civilization.

I am also taking two independent studies classes. I will be comparing the women in art I see to women in today's media. There are more similarities then you think... This research gets me closer to my Women Studies Minor.

I am so excited about this last project, grab your napkins, friends. When I return from Italy, I will compose a cookbook for children which will be inspired by crisp Mediterranean flavors and the fresh produce of Florence's open air markets.

I know...there is so much to do! Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. Have a fantastic time! As it may not be what you are expecting, I'm sure it will be an eye opening experience. I look forward to reading more. Be safe and enjoy your travels. Although it's your first trip abroad, I'm sure it won't be your last, so don't get overwhelmed. Love you!
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have the time of your life! I am so excited for you to get this opportunity! I will miss you! Can't wait to read your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Beebee, cant wait to get your cookbook. Let me know if you need any Romanian inspired kid friendly dishes...Have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave,

    Thanks for the reminder because it can be overwhelming. I know I can't see it all in one visit. Good thing I insured my return to Rome by tossing a coin in two fountains, the Trevi and the Four Rivers.

    ReplyDelete