Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Galleria dell'Accademia David Michelangelo marble, 13' 5" H 1501-4

Michelangelo's David

David, you are in my face
You are cheesy, a cliche
You have been exploited
And then I saw you in person
And I have a new found respect
You, in your arched home
and in your light
I understand now
And I am sorry I doubted you

David stood in the back of the room but you noticed him right away- gasp
Luckily, for my curiousity and education Michelangelo died before finishing the statues he was commissioned to make. They are called the "prisoners" because they look locked in the marble, trapped.

2 comments:

  1. Did you think they looked locked in the marble? Or was there enough of the statue done to look finished to you? Mama Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't seem finished at all. It was very cool to see a figure taking shape, and all the pain staking strokes of a chisel that went into creating the statues. Michelangelo only finished the David. He kept getting "offers he couldn't refuse" often times it was for the Pope. The David was actually meant to be displayed outside at first, but because he was wanted elsewhere, Michelangelo scaled him down to 17 feet. His upper body is disproportionate to his lower half. The detail in his hand is intense, especially comparing it to the "prisoners." I appreciated the effort/time it took to transform the marble into such a magnificent, polished essence of victory. David represented Florence (underdog) in it's fight for freedom.

    ReplyDelete