Sunday, May 9, 2010

I am SIUE's Travel Study Ambassador! My Winning Essay

By graduating in Fall 2010 with a Bachelors of Science in Liberal Studies, I will be the fifth college graduate in my family of ten. I have studied Art, Theater, History, Anthropology, Geography, and numerous other classes that have inspired me to learn. They have pushed me out of my comfort zone. Studying in Italy is the finishing touch, learning in 3D, what a textbook fails at mastering.

Fliers led me to a study abroad meeting; I met with Julie Beall-Marshal, and finally attended a study abroad fair. I could not in good conscience borrow money to pay for an entire semester abroad, so I chose the summer session with Carol Frick, which will focus on the Italian Renaissance. I know my three weeks in Italy will be invaluable to my real world education and serve as inspiration for creative endeavors. I would be happy to share my experiences with future students and be proud to serve as SIUE Study Abroad Ambassador.

Writing was my way of being heard in a family of five brothers and two sisters. Short stories morphed into poems and with the introduction of my first guitar transformed again into lyrics. At SIUE I have been introduced to multiple fields of study. "I've learned a little about everything, I've learned everything is little.” I sing. The messages of my lyrics were egocentric. The idea of "write what you know," implemented my pages.

Considering a career in journalism, a friend of mine suggested, "Study anything but journalism...what are you going to write about?" Connecting the diverse classes I have taken has contributed to a greater understanding of the human condition. My writing is still a reflection of my thoughts and feelings but has been broadened to incorporate the world in which I live.

Non academic reasons and desire to study in Italy are my love of new environments and situations. They are moments of growth and understanding. Traveling out of the country and learning about Italian culture is an opportunity I cannot afford to miss. I can’t wait to feel the Mediterranean climate, taste the diet, see the art in every structure, and live the culture. I know I will be inspired with every breath. I plan to capture my experiences through poetry, sketching, and keeping a journal.

2 comments:

  1. Bernadette:
    Congratulations on your winning essay to the SIUE Ambassador! What a wonderful opportunity! I look forward to reading all about your experiences and can't wait to cook some new recipes that you bring back with you. Enjoy! Love you,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You are a real talent with words and especially poetry,glad you were honored! Love,Mama

    ReplyDelete